freebsd boot manager

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Fri Jun 13 13:31:27 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 6.3 on intel. My box has 2 HDs (SATA). FreeBSD is
installed on the first SATA HD.
At boot time, I'm prompted with the FreeBSD bootmanager interface
(F1 : FreeBSD, F5 : Drive 1)

I have plugged a CF card on a dedicated slot of the motherboard (Tyan
i7520SD), and installed a nanoBSD on this compact flash card.

Now I want many things:

- being able to choose between my SATA bootable HD and the CF, at boot
time, whatever system was previously booted (SATA or CF)
- the box must always boot by default on the SATA HD
- in case SATA is not available (HD failure, ...), the box must boot
on the CF card.

So my first question is: is it possible?
My second question is: how do I make this happen?

I can't find any relevant explanation about manipulations/settings of
the FreeBSD bootmanager, and I've asked my questions on french usenet
group with no luck, so I'm quite lost.

Any help greatly appreciated.

patpro