bin/118249: mv(1): moving a directory changes its mtime

Joe Peterson lavajoe at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 28 06:40:02 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR bin/118249; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe at gentoo.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: bin/118249: mv(1): moving a directory changes its mtime
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:14:09 -0700

 A couple of notes on this...

 * It does not happen with, e.g., ZFS, so it appears to be UFS-specific.

 * When doing cp -pR, it does not happen.

 * Along these lines, I tried moving files and dirs *across* file
 systems, and it does not happen.  So it's the case of moving a dir to
 another dir in the *same* fs that invokes the issue.  Since moving
 across filesystems (according to the man page) uses "rm -f dest && cp
 -pRP source dest && rm -rf source" rather than rename, this makes sense.

 P.S.  I used the web-form to submit the bug, so the text box must treat
 the text as one long line (hence the 417 character line).