Intermezzo FS on FreeBSD

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 16 02:23:34 PST 2008

Onkar wrote:
> Hi all,
>          This is my first post on FreeBSD mailing list ; so sorry if I am
> not adhering to any rules.
>
> My Question was :
>                           (1) Is Intermezzo File system ported onto FreeBSD.
> [Y/N]

Almost certainly not.

>                           (2) If (1) is N, Why it is not ported for so long
> ? Is there any specific reason (licensing etc (but Intermezzo FS is under
> GPL) )? [Y/N]

Nobody payed anybody to do it, and nobody needed it badly enough to do
it themselves.

>                           (4) If (2) is N , Can I start porting it to
> FreeBSD now ? [Y/N]

Yes! As long as you keep everything needed for the module (more
specifically, everything under non-BSD friendly license) in a separate
module, there wouldn't be licensing problems.

I've did some reading about Intermezzo and one of the things about it is
that it's described as "working on top of a journaled file system". By
its specification it seems it doesn't actually need a journal but a
"file system operations stream". There's no general way of generating
these records (AFAIK there is in DragonflyBSD) but maybe it would be
enough to hook up like a nullfs mount.

>                           (5) if (4) is Y, then how to register the project
> (i.e., "Intermezzo on FreeBSD") ?

That sounds like a good name. If you are serious about it, maybe you
could ask for a Perforce account (if you can deal with the way it works
:) ), a wiki account, etc.