Headers files included by vnode.h

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 23 03:41:14 PST 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Gerry Weaver wrote:

>  Because these files are dynamically generated it makes no sense to
>  install them.  There are quite a few files like these which are used
>  during the kernel generation process to dynamically create include
>  files.  This allows greater flexibility.
>
> Thanks Gary. I appreciate your help.

The usual question here is "what are you trying to do?".  Normally we
dynamically generate the implementations of the VOP interfaces when the kernel
(or a module built independently from the kernel) depends on them.  If you're
creating a kernel module, you can add a dependency on vnode_if.h, which will
cause the kernel module build framework to generate local copies of the file
in your build directory during the build, as seen in the Coda module:

   # $FreeBSD: src/sys/modules/coda/Makefile,v 1.17.2.1 2008/03/14 17:12:40 rwatson Exp $

   .PATH: ${.CURDIR}/../../fs/coda

   KMOD=   coda
   SRCS=   vnode_if.h \
           coda_fbsd.c coda_psdev.c coda_subr.c coda_venus.c coda_vfsops.c \
           coda_vnops.c opt_coda.h

   .include <bsd.kmod.mk>

If it's for the purposes of debugging a kernel, you should be able to find the
generated copies of the files in the build directory for the kernel.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge