ZFS Advice

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Aug 9 07:16:07 UTC 2008

> Or, it could be that a UIO slot is specifically a PCI-Ex8 slot?  You
> can buy risers that convert "1U PCI-E (x16) to 1 UIO and 1 PCI-E "

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/UIO_cards.cfm

This one actually says in the clear:

  "8-Lane PCI-Express interface (Supermicro UIO slot)"

My guess is one of the following:

* It means nothing but "PCI-E", and the UIO stuff is just marketing BS.

* It means "extra PCI-E", and the UIO stuff is just marketing BS.

* (Based on the grapical animation on the UIO page) They actually do have a
special slot on their motherboard for use with their special UIO card which
then provides a few extra PCI-E slots. The mentioning of UIO on pages
describing standard PCI-E cards is just marketing BS resulting from the
technically correct fact that they can be used with their UIO card.

If I don't find specific information to the contrary I'll probably chance it
and see.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'