bin/122172: [amd] [fs]: amd(8) automount daemon dies on 6.3-STABLE i386, fine on amd6

John Hein jhein at timing.com
Tue Apr 8 18:00:03 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR bin/122172; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Hein <jhein at timing.com>
To: Lee Damon <nomad at crow.ee.washington.edu>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: bin/122172: [amd] [fs]: amd(8) automount daemon dies on 6.3-STABLE
 i386, fine on amd6
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:52:18 -0600

 Lee Damon wrote at 09:40 -0700 on Apr  8, 2008:
  > John Hein wrote:
  > > This doesn't help your problem directly, but we've been using amd with
  > > NIS maps and 6.3/i386 without any problems.  What's your configuration?
  >
  > The maps are flat files but we use LDAP.
  >
  > > You could also try the newer version of am-utils in ports just
  > > to see if it behaves differently.
  >
  > thanks for the hints.  Sadly the version in the ports tree tied the same
  > horrible death.

 You should put that information in the PR (CC restored).

  > > Have you tried searching back from your cvsup date to see when
  > > it stops seg faulting for you?
  >
  > These are production machines, I can't take them down for the time it
  > would take to do that :(

 Unfortunately, all I have are debugging suggestions...

  - Bring up a non-production machine to play with.

  - Bring up a virtual machine or jail to play with.

  - Start with a bare bones amd config (e.g., without anything
    but the default maps & .conf files).  If there's no core
    dump, then add back parts of your config until it dies.

  - Compile amd with debug on and turn up the debug level to
    see if you get any hints.

  - Trace deeper into the code to find the source of the null ptr.

  - Try asking on the am-utils mailing list.