Writing contigiously to UFS2?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 21 04:36:31 PDT 2007

Fluffles wrote:

> Even worse: data is being stored at weird locations, so that my energy
> efficient NAS project becomes crippled. Even with the first 400GB of
> data, it's storing that on the first 4 disks in my concat configuration,

> In the past when testing geom_raid5 I've tried to tune newfs parameters
> so that it would write contiguously but still there were regular 2-phase
> writes which mean data was not written contiguously. I really dislike
> this behavior.

I agree, this is my least favorite aspect of UFS (maybe together with
nonimplementation of extents), for various reasons. I feel it's time to
start heavy lobbying for finishing FreeBSD's implementations of XFS and
raiserfs :)

(ZFS is not the ultimate solution: 1) replacing UFS monoculture with ZFS
monoculture will sooner or later yield problems, and 2) sometimes a
"dumb" unix filesystem is preferred to the "smart" ZFS).