Advice on runtime directories ala .snapshot

Shane Adams adamsch1 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 19:53:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've been thinking about how I could add a "virtual" directory entry similar to netapp, namely a .snapshot.  Obviously I'd want to do this at runtime, but I'm having trouble attacking this problem.

I've been looking at the ufs_lookup routines, seems thats the only place to tackle such a feature?  Or possibly inject a .snapshot entry as the last entry read in a call to ufs_readdir ?

I believe doing a ls -la on a netapp will not return the .snapshot directory, only explicitly nameing the directory will achieve the effects you want.  This would be somewhere beneith namei ultimatly in ufs_lookup?

Sorry I'm a bit rambling!

Cheers,
  Shane