How do I get back my previous minfree level of performance ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 03:41:16 PDT 2007

I know of a way to beat up (stress) an aac controller that will cause it to crash.

I have put safeguards in place to make sure that this never happens.

It is well known that going to a minfree level of ZERO on a disk that is near-full is very stressful on the system.

Last night, I took a 1.8 TB filesystem with only 10 GB of free space and changed it from:

minfree=1

to:

minfree=0

and suddenly the aac0 controller starts dying on me.  OOPS.  Ok, no problem, I did not use any of the space I gained yet, so I will just go right back to a minfree of "1".

So basically, I changed my minfree:  1 -> 0 -> 1

But the problem is, the crashes that going to zero caused _persist_ after going back to one.

So my question is, what did I leave behind ?  And how do I get back to a "real" minfree of 1, and not this broken minfree of 1 that I currently have ?

The environment has been carefully controlled - this is the only change that has occurred and this aac0 controller halting has not happened in 300+ days of continuous operation ... it is definitely the move to a minfree of zero that stressed out the aac driver...

Comments ?