Reproducable FreeBSD/AMD Crash

Erez Zadok ezk at cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Apr 6 13:19:49 PDT 2005

I'm CCing freebsd-fs here.  To the freebsd-fs people: Tom reported a freebsd
kernel panic that's triggered by an intense activity via amd (using amq -u
to unmount an entry, and then "touching" it again to re-mount it, then
repeating this process).

In message <637A278D8D0DBC438EA5E75C6E1818B9028C4810 at magenta.hq.netapp.com>, "Vincent, Thomas" writes:

> [...]

I think you need to report it to the freebsd people: for now, I can put a
report in the BUGS file of am-utils that certain intense activity via amd
could trigger a panic.

I suggest you get a core dump, stack trace, whatever you can, and report it
on freebsd-hackers and/or freebsd-fs.  Clearly this is a serious bug that
they need to fix.  Of course, we'll be happy to help you and the freebsd
folks to fix it.

If it turns out that Amd is doing something wrong, then we'll fix it.  But
as I said in my earlier email to you: no kernel should ever panic b/c of
what a userland process does via syscalls (with the exception of scribbling
over random kernel memory via /dev/kmem :-)

Thanks,
Erez.