>1 systems 1 FS

Hiten Pandya hmp at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Oct 23 08:01:51 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:43:10AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
:
: [ ... ]
:
: One example of an FS that can do this is GFS, from Sistina; they
: used to have an open-source version (under the GPL), but appear
: to have since come to their senses.  I ported all the user space
: tools for GFS to FreeBSD in about 4 hours of work one night, when
: it was still available under the GPL.  See their propaganda at:
:
: 	http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm

	On the other hand, you could also check out the OpenGFS project
	which is still being worked on actively:

	http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/

	This is for Linux, ofcourse.

: Anyway, the normal way this is handled for SAN/NAS devices is
: to carve out a logical volume region on a per-machine basis, and
: forget the locking altogether (giving a management node "ownership"
: of the "as yet unallocated regions"), which avoid contention by
: separation of the contention domain entirely.  Not a very
: satisfying way of doing it, if you ask me.

	You could also checkout another interesting file system, called
	Lustre, located at http://www.lustre.org/, which could probably
	help your need.

	Regards,

--