4.8 ffs_dirpref problem

Kirk McKusick mckusick at beastie.mckusick.com
Wed Oct 22 22:30:04 PDT 2003

I believe that you can dsolve your problem by tuning the existing
algorithm using tunefs. There are two parameters to control dirpref,
avgfilesize (which defaults to 16384) and filesperdir (which defaults
to 50). I suggest that you try using an avgfilesize of 4096 and
filesperdir of 1500. This is done by running tunefs on the unmounted
(or at least mounted read-only) filesystem as:

	tunefs -f 4096 -s 1500 /dev/<disk for my broken filesystem>

Note that this affects future layout, so needs to be done before you
put any data into the filesystem. If you are building the filesystem
from scratch, you can use:

	newfs -g 4096 -h 1500 ...

to set these fields. Please let me know if this solves your problem.
If it does not, I will ask Grigoriy Orlov <gluk at ptci.ru> if he has
any ideas on how to proceed.

	Kirk McKusick