Re: How to upgrade an EOL FreeBSD release or how to make it working again

From: Mario Marietto <marietto2008_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:46:43 UTC
The ARM Chromebook is based on armv7,it is still recent. But let's change
perspective for a moment,don't think about the ARM Chromebook. My question
is : how to upgrade FreeBSD when it goes EOL. I ask this because there is a
huge difference here between FreeBSD and Linux. Today if you need to use ,
for example Ubuntu 14.0, you can use it as is. Yes,there will be a lot of
bugs,but it will work without crashes. But if you want to use an old
FreeBSD system,nothing will work for you. So,do you know some methods to
install even packages or ports ? You know,there are cases when you need to
do some experiments so that you can keep your machine off the internet,so
you aren't scared that someone can compromise it. Totally prohibiting the
users to use an old system,removing ports and packages is not a choice that
I approve of. And I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

--
Mario.