Re: another xen-kernel UEFI story

From: Roger Pau Monné <royger_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:11:28 UTC
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 04:03:34PM +0200, Lizbeth Mutterhunt, Ph.D wrote:
> Ok, the RS-232 cable arrived yestereday to connect it with my ASUS board shouldn’t be the problem, but how to connect on the other side of a 7 year old Dell Notebook with FreeBSD 14 CURRENT running? I guess I need a USB -> RS232 adapter there, or? And the Raspi would need something like this, too?

Yes, that's what I use, a RS-232 to USB adapter. I've connected the
adapter to either a laptop or a Raspberry Pi. As long as you have the
drivers it doesn't really matter what you use on the other end.

Keep in mind the cable between both boxes must be a null modem cable,
or else it won't work.

> Greetz,
> Lizbeth
>
> P.S.: Clover can boot XEN, but not FreeBSD!?

Xen uses the multiboot protocol, which is an OS agnostic standard
likely to be implemented by many bootloaders.

Also Xen can be build as an UEFI binary (PE), thus being booted
directly from the UEFI shell much like FreeBSD first stage loader.

Regards, Roger.