Re: sound(4) purge candidates

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:30:04 UTC
Am 2024-04-25 17:48, schrieb Christos Margiolis:
> Hello Tomek,
>
> Tomek CEDRO wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 7:33 PM Christos Margiolis wrote:
>> >
>> > I compiled the following list of PCI drivers that we could possibly
>> > purge. I've included the drivers that have either never been referenced
>> > in NYC*BUG dmesgd [1] or whose last reference is prior to 2010.
>> >
>> > snd_als4000     never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)
>> > snd_atiixp      never
>> > snd_cmi         2004
>> > snd_cs4281      2020 (OpenBSD), 2004 (FreeBSD)
>> > snd_csa         2006 (as well as a single 2020 reference)
>> > snd_emu10k1     2006
>> > snd_envy24      never
>> > snd_envy24ht    2018 (only reference)
>> > snd_es137x      2004
>> > snd_fm801       never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)
>> > snd_neomagic    2004
>> > snd_solo        2004
>> > snd_spicds      never
>> > snd_t4dwave     2004
>> > snd_via8233     2005
>> > snd_via82c686   2004
>> > snd_vibes       never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)
>>
>> If these PCI drivers work fine then I would leave them as is. I have
>> three SounBlaster Live/Audigy cards that works fine here on FreeBSD
>> but not on Windoze anymore.. they enforce buying new hardware just
>> because drivers are unsupported. We do not want that on BSD. If
>> something works fine then don't touch it :-)
>
> No objection to keep supporting drivers that are still in use, even if
> by a few users. I only want to make sure that we do not keep stuff that
> is clearly _not_ used/working anymore.

If the sound hardware is only availble in a package (e.g. mainboard
only) for hardware which can not be bought anymore and is not supported
anymore by release binaries (e.g. pure i386 vs. i486 and more modern), I
would not oject to remove them. For stuff which is available on PCI
cards and could be still in use in todays hardware, I do not think we
should remove them based on age.

Bye,
Alexander.

--