Re: sound(4) purge candidates

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:16:21 UTC
On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 7:33 PM Christos Margiolis wrote:

> I compiled the following list of PCI drivers that we could possibly
> purge. I've included the drivers that have either never been referenced
> in NYC*BUG dmesgd [1] or whose last reference is prior to 2010.
>
> snd_als4000     never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)
> snd_atiixp      never
> snd_cmi         2004
> snd_cs4281      2020 (OpenBSD), 2004 (FreeBSD)
> snd_csa         2006 (as well as a single 2020 reference)
> snd_emu10k1     2006
> snd_envy24      never
> snd_envy24ht    2018 (only reference)
> snd_es137x      2004
> snd_fm801       never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)
> snd_neomagic    2004
> snd_solo        2004
> snd_spicds      never
> snd_t4dwave     2004
> snd_via8233     2005
> snd_via82c686   2004
> snd_vibes       never (only auto-loaded by snd_driver.ko)

If these PCI drivers work fine then I would leave them as is. I have
three SounBlaster Live/Audigy cards that works fine here on FreeBSD
but not on Windoze anymore.. they enforce buying new hardware just
because drivers are unsupported. We do not want that on BSD. If
something works fine then don't touch it :-)