Re: enable INVARIANT_SUPPORT in GENERIC in release builds

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:16:13 UTC
On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 09:53:06PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 8:35 PM Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/16/24 14:00, Lexi Winter wrote:
> > > currently release version of GENERIC (or GENERIC-NODEBUG in main) does
> > > not have INVARIANT_SUPPORT enabled.
> > >
> > > unfortunately, the presence or absense of this option breaks the KABI
> > > because, as i understand it, modules built with INVARIANTS won't load on
> > > a kernel without INVARIANT_SUPPORT.
> > >
> > > is there a reason INVARIANT_SUPPORT can't just be enabled by default?
> >
> > I think while it had much lower overhead than INVARIANTS, there was still
> > a significant overhead cost at least in the early days.  Maybe that's no
> > longer the case.
> >

> I thought it had no overhead (despite the comments saying it does). It
> only increases runtime from what I can see if INVARIANTS or WITNESS
> are defined.
>

> > > this would remove one roadblock to separating kernel modules from the
> > > kernel config in both pkgbase and ports, because there would be no need
> > > to build a KABI-incompatible kernel just to build a single module with
> > > INVARIANTS.
> >
> > If the overhead cost of INVARIANT_SUPPORT is no longer relevant, I'd be
> > fine with including it in stable/15.  Of course we can't turn it on for
> > stable/1[34] for the ABI reasons you just mentioned
> >

> I think that it just exports more functions, so that's something that could
> be exported.

No, it does not. For instance, for buffer cache, INVARIANTS_SUPPORT
makes buffer lock asserts into real calls into lockmgr. It might do
something similar to the inpcb locks as well.

Fixing such case and making INVARIANTS_SUPPORT indeed only export some
functions would be a pre-requisite to enabling it for all users.

But then, it raises a question, what are the KBI differences between
no-SUPPORT and SUPPORT kernels are, except exported functions?