Re: removing RIP/RIPng (routed/route6d)

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:10:49 UTC
In message <Zh5s4JHqKp-keZO7@ilythia.eden.le-fay.org>, Lexi Winter writes:

> Cy Schubert:
> > The ports have been added.
>
> thanks Cy.  i believe you may also need to add usr.sbin/rip6query, which
> is the IPv6 version of rtquery, as well as the rc.d scripts which i was
> intending to remove.
>
> the initial draft of my patch showing the files to be removed is at [0]
> but this hasn't been much tested (or reviewed) beyond building.
>
> https://github.com/llfw/freebsd-src/commit/c46f3f1387386448652af66fa3cfafa831
> 1110e6

Removing routed from the ifconfig and ping man pages may be a mistake.
Maybe we should replace the wording to say something about some daemon that
may alter the routing table, such as routed or other example. Removing
references to some daemon altering the routing table may cause confusion as
routing tables are changed unbeknownst a sysadmin trying to grok a
situation that is impacting routing.

We can discuss this in the phabricatior review. Just putting it out here as
a heads up.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>