Re: removing RIP/RIPng (routed/route6d)

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:54:31 UTC
In message <Zh2M8f8W_Jr06P2O@ilythia.eden.le-fay.org>, Lexi Winter writes:

> --4V/4RNUhYOEMkuLx
>
> Cy Schubert:
> > > if there's some concern that people still want to use the BSD
> > > implementation of routed/route6d, i'm also willing to submit a port
> > > such as net/freebsd-routed containing the old code, in a similar way
> > > to how the removal of things like window(1) and telnetd(8) were
> > > handled.
> =20
> > If a port, the source repo must contain full history extracted from our s=
> rc=20
> > tree like I did with our telnetd and ftpd extracts.
>
> noted.
>
> can i ask how you did that for telnetd?

I've extracted sbin/routed and usr.sbin/route6d for you, at
https://github.com/cschuber/freebsd-routed.

Would you what that I create the ports?

The repo contains both routed and route6d. The ports will need to build one
or the other, or maybe one port to build and install both. I think two
separate ports building off the same source is better.

git-filter-repo took a matter of minutes to complete what git-filter-branch
estimated would take approximately 27 days (or more) to complete.

The wiki has been updated with an additional step. A git tag points to a
non-existent ref, causing git-filter-repo to choke. Removing the tag
allowed it to complete.

The steps I used for this latest extract are also documented in the wiki
page.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>