Re: OpenSSL 3.0 for 14.0-RELEASE: issues with 1.x/3.x symbol clashing, ports linking against base OpenSSL, ports that don't compile/link against OpenSSL 3, etc

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 23:36:24 UTC
On Wed, May 3, 2023, 5:10 PM Pierre Pronchery <pierre@freebsdfoundation.org>
wrote:

>                 Hi everyone,
>
> On 5/2/23 23:24, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On 5/2/23 2:59 AM, Antoine Brodin wrote:

> >> In my opinion this is a huge amount of work a few weeks before the
> >> release.  Focusing on updating OpenSSL and those core ports may be
> >> simpler.
> >
> > This is my view.  I think making OpenSSL private is a very huge task, and
> > fraught with peril in ways that haven't been thought about yet (e.g. PAM)
> > and that we can't hold up OpenSSL 3 while we wait for this.  Instead, I
> > think
> > we need to be moving forward with OpenSSL 3 in base as-is.  We will have
> > fix ports to work with OpenSSL 3 regardless (though this does make that
> > pain
> > in ports happen sooner).  Moving libraries private can happen
> orthogonally
> > with getting base to work with OpensSL 3.
>
> I have started to look at updating OpenSSL to version 3.0.8 in base,
> using the existing vendor/openssl-3.0 branch.
>
> My progress can be found at
> https://github.com/khorben/freebsd-src/tree/khorben/openssl-3.0. I
> regularly force-push to keep a consistent and nice commit history,
> before possibly applying for a merge.
>
> So far the status is:
>
> - libssl, libcrypto build on amd64, i386, less sure about aarch64, other
> architectures not tested
> - libfetch builds, uses libmd in addition to OpenSSL
> - libradius builds, same thing
> - libarchive builds
> - libunbound builds, but not unbound
> - libmp builds
>
> I used libmd to reach a buildable status faster, since the equivalent
> MD5_*() API is now deprecated in OpenSSL 3. If MD5 is still allowed in
> OpenSSL 3, we can avoid the dependency on libmd again. (anyone got
> sample code for this?)
>
> Meanwhile I keep trying to build the rest of the system, hopefully in
> time for a possible inclusion in -14.
>
> Reviews and tests on the whole thing will be more than welcome in any case!

Cool. Id like to echo the namespace remapping suggestion.  OpenSSL tends to
be basically a leaf requirement.  If we always remapping our in tree
openssl, then if someone uses, say, libfetch and something else that
requires openssl1, they can coexist in the same binary. Without the
namespace remapping, we get a guaranteed conflict.

It would increase our flexibility. And it could potentially be mfc'd if the
old openssl were left as an optional component for people on stable stuck
with it as a requirement. It would mitigate the EOL issues while giving an
escape hatch that's not insane (modulo the elevated risk)

I'll have to take a closer look at the branch.

Warner

Cheers & HTH,