Re: Future of 32-bit platforms (including i386)

From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 21:09:18 UTC
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > Some of our daemons are very pointer heavy and up to a certain scale
> > point, a 32bit app is more memory efficient, of course the 64bit version
> > can scale much bigger but many customers do not need that.
>
> Are you able to build your daemons with cc -32 with an amd64 world, or
> do you require an i386 world to build against?

We don't buildworld, and we do not build 32bit apps as such in our freebsd
tree.  We build 32bit libs (and loader) and publish these for use by Junos.

For main we are using -target i386-unknown-freebsd14.0, but clang is not
built as part of freebsd.

I think all we require is compat32 support in the kernel, and the
ability to build libs for i386.

> If the latter, do you use a chroot to build any ports

We do not build any ports.

Thanks
--sjg