[FreeBSD-Announce] Summer of Code Application Deadline in 1 week (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 6 12:11:54 UTC 2006

Just as a reminder, the summer of code application deadline is approaching
rapidly.  There's lots of room for original work proposals for students
interested in getting paid to to TrustedBSD work this summer (or winter, if
you're in the Southern Hemisphere :-).

Robert N M Watson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:22:52 -0700
From: Murray Stokely <murray at freebsd.org>
To: announce at FreeBSD.org
Subject: [FreeBSD-Announce] Summer of Code Application Deadline in 1 week

The Summer of Code application process has officially begun.  This is
an excellent opportunity for students to get involved with improving
FreeBSD.  Successful student applicants will receive $4,500 in funding
from Google, will be granted an account on the FreeBSD.org Perforce
revision control system, and will receive an @freebsd.org mail forward
to help interact with other FreeBSD developers this summer.

We have identified a number of senior developers to serve as mentors
to introduce students to contributing to FreeBSD.  We have also
identified some example project ideas and guidelines for writing a
good proposal on our Summer of Code web page :

   http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode.html

There you will find a partial list of example proposal ideas in all
areas of operating system design, including networking, filesystems,
installation tools, parallel programming, security research and more.

Once a suitable project and mentor have been identified, interested
students should complete a proposal and submit it to Google.
Proposals are now being accepted and the final deadline is May 8, 2006
at 17:00 Pacific Daylight Time (midnight May 9, 2006 0:00 UTC).
Winning candidates will be announced in late May.

Interacting with a global team of open source developers in a
centralized revision control system is excellent preparation for a
future career as a software engineer.  Many of the students that
participated last year are still contributing code to FreeBSD.

For additional information about this program, please see the student
frequently asked questions page:

   http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html

Thanks and good luck!

        - Murray Stokely