File System ACLs: Where to go from here in FreeBSD?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Sep 20 22:25:32 GMT 2005

Hi, Robert--

This big an email may have frightened away the usual suspects, or
perhaps the discussion about bumping library version numbers is
stealing too much attention.  :-)

Nevertheless, I'll toss a few comments into the ring...

On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:19 AM, Robert Watson wrote:
> (1) We follow the POSIX.1e specification for file creation modes,
> in which
>     the ACL and umask are combined with the cmode to generate a
>     conservative ACL.  This was the same as IRIX, but different from
>     Solaris; Linux adopted the Solaris model.  Since then, IRIX has (I
>     believe) also switched to the Solaris model.  Our model is
>     "conservative" in that it will never offer broader rights on a
> file
>     than the umask permits, but it turns out to be quite useful in
> some
>     environments to allow the ACL on a directory to overide the
> umask of a
>     program writing files there.

The first system I saw ACLs on was AFS, which used ACLs to extend and
override the Unix mode bits in a more specific fashion.  I believe
this is what you refer to as the "Solaris model", but let me try to
be more specific:

Given a file "foo", with 664 (rw-rw-r--) permissions, you could add a
user-specific positive permission (user "adam" can write to the
file), and this would apply even if adam was not a member of the
group associated with the file.  Likewise, you could add a negative
permission, such as "no access" for "betty", which would mean betty
could not read/write/list/etc the file, even if betty was a member of
the group which owns the file "foo".

Likewise, you could set up ACLs for groups, where a specific ACL
would extend and override the Unix mode bits.  If foo was group-owned
by staff, you could define a negative ACL for "students" like "no
write", and people who were in the students group would not have
write access, even if those users were also part of the staff group.

[ This was actually a pretty common case, as grad students were
employed as TA's or as junior sysadmins keeping the computing
clusters going. ]

Evaluation order was apply the Unix mode bits as appropriate
considering the uid/gid of the process/user accessing the resource,
then apply group-based rules, then apply per-user rules, to end up
with the final set of access rights.

> Option (b) is an interesting new choice as compared to 1999, when
> NTFS ACLs were in the distinct minority in terms of the syntax and
> semantics they offered.  However, they become much more appealing
> if we consider that there appears to be a much clearer mapping from
> NTFS ACLs to NFSv4 ACLs than there is from POSIX.1e ACLs to NFSv4
> ACLs.  And the fact that Mike Smith at Apple has taken the time to
> make it sit behind our library for the Darwin implementation on HFS
> +, etc, is also quite interesting. When I implemented the library,
> it was my hope that it would support that sort of thing, but we
> never actually tried :-).

I remember Mike from the Darwin lists, he's a good guy (IIRC), and
Apple has felt a strong need to implement filesystem and network
sharing semantics which work well with Windows/NTFS/CIFS and with Samba.

While many people using FreeBSD have less need for such
interoperability, it wouldn't hurt to do better, especially if
FreeBSD can take advantage of the work already put into Darwin.

> If we don't start considering a move to Darwin/NTFS ACLs, then we
> run into a problem when it comes to implementing NFSv4 ACLs: the
> mapping and behavior is rather poor and unclear.  There's an ID on
> the topic, which I basically read as saying "This is all rather
> hard and rather non-ideal". Apple has identified that, for them,
> compatibility with NT (and possibly NFSv4?) is the way to go, and
> they may be right.

NFS filesharing is much less important to Apple, frankly, and I would
not expect them to be taking the lead on NFSv4.

I'm not even sure NFSv4 is really on their radar map at all compared
to providing an integration of Samba, OpenLDAP, Kerberos with decent
GUI management tools in order to provide a reasonable replacement for
a Windows domain controller or ADC.

> On the other hand, the result is much reduced possibility of clean
> interoperability with Linux, Solaris, IRIX, and so on.  So there's
> a definite trade-off.

This concern probably matters more to FreeBSD than to MacOS X.

The interoperability issues with ACLs are minor compared with issues
such as UFS being case-sensitive, whereas NTFS, CIFS/SMB, and HFS+
all being case-insensitive (but perhaps case-preserving).  There's
also the issue of Unicode support in filesystem pathnames, which
provides a significant advantage to HFS+ for "normal people" [1]
using anything outside of ASCII or ISO-8859-1.

--
-Chuck

[1]: Read this as somebody's grandmother from Russia or China or
whatever that wants to name files in her native language.  :-)