MAC kernel option

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 18 12:21:17 GMT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Christian S.J. Peron wrote:

> I think it's about time we added the MAC kernel option to FreeBSD's
> GENERIC kernel, what do other people think?
>
> Even if it is commented out:
>
> # Build the Mandatory Access Control (MAC) framework
> # options	MAC

For the time being, I think leaving it off by default is the right thing
to do.  There are a few performance issues we'll want to consider
carefully:

(1) Right now, we automatically allocate label storage for four policies
     on most system objects if MAC is compiled in.  This isn't a huge
     amount of memory (4 pointers plus one flags field), and it is zone
     allocated, but this is still a non-trivial overhead.  We don't do this
     for mbufs unless requested by an active policy, but it's still
      measurable.

(2) Right now we assume dynamic policy loading and unloading is allowed,
     and so we take a locking overhead to maintain the dynamic policy list.

I think your merging of MAC kernel configurations to sys/*/conf, based on
GENERIC, is the right thing to do in the mean time while we consider these
issues.

Robert N M Watson
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at trustedbsd.org