cap question: permitted and inheritable static?

Joey Try jiayong02 at iscas.cn
Mon Oct 10 09:30:45 GMT 2005

hi, all.

  while I was checking the trustedbsd-cap source tree, I thought about a question:

  As defined in POSIX.1e, capability status is divided into 3 flags: permitted, effective, inheritable. After capability status is generated from parent proc via exec(), do a proc's permitted and inheritable flags have to be "static", that is to say they should not be modified throughtout the life-cycle, and the capability status transitions only affect effective flag?

  At least I did not find such code in the source!

  Does anyone can answer this question? Thanks very much:)

                                yours, Joey Try