New version of capabilities patch online, some more status

Jeffrey W. Thompson thompson at argus-systems.com
Thu Apr 27 15:52:46 GMT 2000

> I'm very enthusiastic about the discussions of application-level support
> for mandatory access control interfaces, and with X-Windows which sits
> somewhere in between the system and user space.  I don't have much to
> bring to such a discussion, but think this would be an extremely useful
> direction to turn our attention to.  I guess the first thing that comes to
> mind is deciding in what ways X-Windows would benefit from being aware of
> operating system policies (primarily MAC labels and policy), and what
> implications this has from a user interface and application development
> perspective.

One thing that should be discussed about X is what multi-level functionality
is desired.  Typical CMW implementations are extremely limiting and only cause
frustration for users.   There are a few classes of users of X:

1) Single level - This should be the case with most users.  Most users on a
system will be isolated in a single sensitivity label (SL) and not be running
multi-level applications.  For this case the only thing that needs to be done
is to get X to run properly at a single level but be able to be launched at
more than one.  Typically, this means destroying the X tmp files and pipes
during shutdown so that when X starts up at a new level it will be able to
create new tmp files and pipes to communicate through.

2) Single level with Multi-Level applications - This can cause issues if the
application changes its level while trying to display to the Xserver.  This
will typically result in a dropped connection.  This will occur if the
tranquility prinicipal is applied to streams (MAC checks on all
reads/writes).  I am not a proponent of the tranquility principal as I think
it is more beneficial to not have it.  (This is a good side
discussion/debate).  If the tranquility principal is not in place then as long
as the multi-level application is started at the same level as the X server
and creates all of its X connections at this level then there will be no
issues when the application changes its level.

3) Multi level user - This user is typically an administrative user and will
have privilege (capabilities) that allow him to change his level.  This will
create issues when displaying to the X server and will require a multi-level
capable server.  The question is of course, is this worth the effort of
creating a multi-level X server?  In the end, I believe that the answer is
probably yes but I would focus more on functionality in its design than
dealing with issues of covert channels.

There is of course a third issue to be considered and that is the modification
of window managers to be multi-level aware.  Typically, window managers are
modified to display the label of each X window on each window.  An alternative
approach is to create a screen stripe that displays the label of the currently
in focus window.

Just some thoughts to chew on,

Jeff

Jeff Thompson