Common Criteria?

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed Apr 19 12:39:01 GMT 2000

> Jeff DeMello wrote:
> Unfortunately, IMHO, that is a very bad answer.  The B1 market is
> dead.  Why design and build a product for a dead market?

	We had a "dead market" for Unix on PC hardware a few
	years back, but it's come back rather nicely (;-))

	In the case of security, we now have a situation
	which is **worse** than was predicted in the days of
	Multics, a part of which is addressed nicely by
	MAC, and a bunch of which is completely orthogonal to
	anything in the Orange book.

> there is NO market!

	I disagree, but we may be merely disagreeing about
	the size of a market: are you thinking about
	the market as being "people who might buy SPARCs",
	or "interested amateurs who like to download
	elegant kernels"?

>	 The few remaining stragglers in the B1 arena
> are serviced by Trusted Solaris and Trusted Oracle, the only
> products being maintained at that level.

	In fact several other vendors have B1 systems,
	notably H-P, who builds firewalls out of them,
	and
	<Sun hat on>
	the trusted solaris mailing-list is full of commercial
	customers asking interesting and subtle technical questions.
	<Sun hat off>

	In my considered opinion, MAC[1] is a Solved Problem in
	Computer Science, and an answer to a number of pressing
	questions.  Of course, it's not sufficient for the
	general problem.

--dave
1. Dr. Dorothy Denning thinks it's rather half-ass solved
   though: she suspect the *-property is overkill]
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com