TrustedBSD Extensions Project

David Collier-Brown - Sun Canada davecb at scot.canada.sun.com
Wed Apr 12 23:13:07 GMT 2000

David Collier-Brown - Sun Canada <davecb at scot.canada.sun.com>
| > 	Actually the write never gets to the driver, having been
| > 	caught up in the permissions module that all the open
| > 	operations have to pass through.

stanislav shalunov <shalunov at att.com>| No.  You ask to transfer this data to
SCSI ID 3, block 45467.
| The controller decides to write to SCSI ID 1, block 45467.

	That's interesting... if it was intentional, it would be a
	covert channel. [If it were unintentional and probabalistic,
	it would crash your filesystem eventually, and so get caught
	by QC or an enraged user.]

	I think it would be considered a bug, though, and so not be
	specified in particular...

| > 	H-P sells their firewalls hosted on a B1 OS, and
|
| Why would I buy anything from HP?

	Well, performance, price and reliability, for three (;-))
	(And no, I don't work for H-P: rather the opposite, in fact)

| I'm not talking about Solaris.  I'm talking about just one possible
| way to implement the (silly) requirement.

	With respect, that's a silly implementation, not a silly
	requirement.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown in Boston