ctl-alt-del/secure attention sequence

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 12 19:47:50 GMT 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Robert Watson wrote:

> > The default response to ctl-alt-del (which is
> > the secure attention sequence for NT) after I
> > installed FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE (GENERIC) was
> > to call shutdown_nice(), causing a reboot --
> > irrespective of whether anyone was even logged in.
> > You have to recompile to get rid of that line
> > in the console drivers.
> >
> > To reboot or shutdown from a shell by command requires
> > root. Not too consistent ;-/

This is easy to change, though - the default is set to have CTRL-ALT-DEL
reboot because it's the expected behaviour on a PC, and because console
access is assumed to be secure. I have a suspicion you can even disable
the behaviour with kbdcontrol on the fly.

Kris

----
    -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe at alum.mit.edu>