TrustedBSD Extensions Project

David Collier-Brown - Sun Canada davecb at scot.canada.sun.com
Wed Apr 12 18:25:29 GMT 2000

 stanislav shalunov <shalunov at att.com> wrote:
| I interpret 3.1.1.1 ("The enforcement mechanism (e.g.,
| *self/group/public controls*, access control lists) shall allow
| users...", emphasis mine) as saying unix permissions are sufficient.
| This assumes that the comma means OR.

	It does, but a later sentence says: "These access controls
	shall be capable of including or excluding access to the
	granularity of a single user."  That's the clause that
	requires you have a mechanism that isn't the Unix (sub)set.
	One can have self/group/other mechanisms, but there has
	to be case where you can specify a single other.

	If memory serves, a v6 hack at UWaterloo used an array
	of uid/permission-bits in a dummy inode to meet the
	"one user" granularity need that they then had.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown in Boston
Phone: (781) 442-0734, Room BUR03-3632