TrustedBSD Extensions Project

stanislav shalunov shalunov at att.com
Wed Apr 12 18:06:44 GMT 2000

> From: Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net>

> In a practical sense, this doesn't matter because the "touch rule"
> always applies.  The "touch rule" states that if something touches a
> higher classification system it it automaticaly classified at that
> level.  For example, if you plug an unclasified system into a secret
> network regardless of what it does there, it is clasified.  Given
> that inserting an unclassified *write-protected* floppy into a
> classified system makes it classified, you can safely assume that
> all data on any PC system must be treated as having the highest
> classification on the system.  It's not very nice or even very
> practical, but that's likely the way it is.

This seems to contradict the very definition of B1.
I've never worked for U.S. government (and couldn't even if I wanted
to), so I've no idea if what you're saying is accurate.

B1 requires separation of information.

The reason your "touch rule" applies to PCs I assume is that they do
not have a B1 or greater OS installed on them.

--
stanislav shalunov,	WHPD,	shalunov at att.com	732-576-3252
 2:06PM  up 178 days,  3:28, 6 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.20, 0.23

In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door
neighbor.