SGI work in the area

richard offer offer at sgi.com
Wed Apr 12 17:51:32 GMT 2000

* $ from davecb at scot.canada.sun.com at "12-Apr: 1:08pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
* SGI did trusted Irix some time ago, and has made
* code and documents available for "developers interested in
* implementing trusted systems"
*
* 	See http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ob1/

We're also monitoring this list :-)

The above site is code (capabilities, MAC, audit, tsix etc) that has been
extracted from (Trusted) Irix and re-licensed under the GPL, as such it doesn't
really help with TrustedBSD, sorry about that.

However above the kernel there's scope for lots of joint work, I think it makes
some sense to ensure that anything we do to Linux is useful for BSD (and visa
versa).

For example, if someone was to add user level audit to sendmail, it makes more
sence for that to work on both OSs rather than just one, otherwise there's a
risk that the changes I put in will break yours...

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice if we had common code for
everything above the kernel, and that any supporting documentation that could
be shared should be---I'm writing the TCB and no one in their right mind would
want to do that over again for the exact same programs.

*
* --dave

richard.

Richard Offer           Widget FAQ --> http://reality.sgi.com/widgetFAQ