TrustedBSD Audit Project

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 8 20:25:17 GMT 2001

I've already pointed you at this, but for the benefits of the broader
list, I know of two past attempts to write audit code for FreeBSD.

The first was mine based on the POSIX.1e spec, back in the 3.0-CURRENT
days.  I still have a version of the patch on the FreeBSD/POSIX.1e
implementation page, but I have no expectation that the work is worth
reusing.  However, it explored letting the specification of the interface
drive the design of the kernel code.  I also looked a little at structure
memory management, a /dev/audit queue, auditd, etc.

The second was implemented by SRI, and was never formally released.  They
took a pretty different approach, relying on existing KTRACE kernel
functionality to drive the interception of pathname lookup (et al), and
planned to rely on userland code to map an optimized binary interface with
the kernel into something resembling the POSIX.1e audit spec.  I have
access to an early version of this code, under a BSD license, but it's
also from around the 3-CURRENT days.  Questions about it can probably be
directed at Nate Williams, who has since left SRI.

My recommendation for an initial kernel implementation would be to use
neither of these as a starting point (although certainly to reference
them), and look at a simple message queuing design in kernel, a /dev/audit
that provides atomic reads of the messages off the queue (with the ability
to determine the storage required for the next read), and a library that
maps that structure into a POSIX.1e interface.

I'm not really convinced as to what the best approach is for constructing
the in-kernel message, but I believe that avoiding complex memory
management and allocation is very important for performance reasons (as
well as to avoid starvation).  I suspect that using KTRACE as the basis
for the work is probably not the right approach, but the naming of file
system objects is a concern, including how to uniquely name objects
(absolute paths make things difficult for a variety of reasons).

Another problem you'll have to surmount is that BSD pulls in pathname
arguments on-demand in a number of places in the kernel, meaning that
potentially some arguments get pulled in in the system call
implementation, whereas others get pulled in deep in the VFS stack (during
mounting, for example).

Finally, you'll probably want to e-mail John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org> to
discuss the changes he has in mind for the KTRACE mechanisms in kernel --
I believe he's moving to a model where a worker thread manages the KTRACE
message queue, in part for reasons of avoiding lock cycles, and similar
concerns may apply to an audit implementation.

robert at fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services