Activities Report for GSOC (Improve support for Cubieboard) project

Pratik Singhal ps06756 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:43:33 UTC 2015

The main target of this week, was to know fully how to program the MMC
controller to perform I/O using DMA.

To do that, I have done the following ,taking valuable inputs from my
mentor wherever needed :-

1)  Read and understood how is the DMA operation is programmed for MMC card
of Cubieboard by taking help from the NetBSD Cubieboard implementation and
FreeBSD's Raspberry pi implementation.

2) Wrote the code for DMA transfer using the MMC controller's DMA engine
(committed to soc repository) Currently, the code is not working.

3) Wrote a separate DMA module for Cubieboard's DMA controller. (Not tested
yet)

Problems faced this week :- The main problem faced this week, was the lack
of documentation on Allwinner's MMC controller (It is not compliant with
the standard controllers). It was resolved by reading the NetBSD
implementation of the same.
I will be facing this problem, throughout the project as Allwinner SoC is
not well documented. The only thing, we can do to resolve this problem is
to read more code of other open source operating systems.

Target for next week :-
The main target for next week, will be to get whatever code I have written
so far, to work properly (for MMC controller's DMA transfer).

I think, with respect to mid term evaluation, our project is on par with
the schedule.

--
Regards,
Pratik Singhal