BFS scheduler weekly status report

rudo tomori rudotx at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:22:39 UTC 2011

Hi,
the goal of my project is to implement a BFS - like scheduler into the
FreeBSD. I started off with the original 4.4BSD code, and by iterative
modifications I will develop a scheduler that matches the BFS design
as specified in http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/sched-BFS.txt.

Last week I implemented a virtual deadline mechanism into the
scheduler. The scheduler now chooses a new thread by looking for a
thread with the earliest virtual deadline.

The scheduler now works this way - whenever it schedules a thread, it
assigns the thread the full time quantum. This week I will change it
so that a thread gets assigned only the part of its time quantum that
it did not consume in the previous run. When I am ready with this, I
will make also the idle threads to be chosen according to the earliest
virtual deadline. As always, you can find more info at my project blog
http://rudot.blog.com/.

rudo