TCP UTO - Weekly Report 3

Catalin Nicutar catalin.nicutar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:39:36 UTC 2011

Hello!

This is the third report for TCP UTO.

* Short TCP UTO description

UTO stands for User Timeout Option (it is described in RFC5482). TCP UTO
specifies a peer should be allowed to advertise its chosen `User Timeout'
for a connection.
The wiki page for this project: http://wiki.freebsd.org/CatalinNicutar/TCPUTO

* Work completed last week
       * The option is now correctly sent on first SYN sent
       * I have tested using Wireshark and it seems to be correct (or pcap is
       making the same mistakes as I am)

The TCP_SNDUTO_TIMEOUT setsockopt option controls the way the user timeout
is sent. If it's set to 0 no user timeout is sent. If it's > 0 the specified
timeout is sent on first SYN.

* My goals for for this week
       * Correctly set the granularity for the timeout (seconds / minutes)
       * Test the option for SYN-ACK
       * Receive the option and store it (the value can be retrieved using
       TCP_RCVUTO_TIMEOUT)

This is all for report 3. If you have questions, suggestions or advices
drop me an email to cnicutar at FreeBSD.org.

Catalin Nicutar