BFS scheduler weekly status report

rudo tomori rudotx at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 22:02:04 UTC 2011

Hi,
the goal of my project is to implement a BFS - like scheduler into the
FreeBSD. I started off with the original 4.4BSD code, and by iterative
modifications I will develop a scheduler that matches the BFS design
as specified in http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/sched-BFS.txt.

Last week I worked on the scheduler part that deals with threads
waking up. Now when a thread wakes up, the scheduler inspects if the
waking thread should preempt any thread currently running on the CPUs.
You can find more specific info about how I deal with this in my
latest blog post at http://rudot.blog.com.

Next week I will look at the ULE code and see how it determines the
CPU topology. I will use the similar concept when trying to choose an
idle CPU where a thread that is just waking up should run. If there
are multiple idle CPUs, I will use one with the best CPU cache
locality.

rudo