[Status update] sysctlreg project

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 21 15:43:51 UTC 2010

On Sunday 20 June 2010 3:28:14 pm Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:04:55 -0400
> John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I think for now the focus should be on solving the ports case which can be
done
> > rather simply in userland.  If in the future someone comes up with a
practical
> > use case for spoofing these values that the env vars does not solve, then
this
> > could be revisited.
> >
> John, thank you for your suggestions. We've discussed them with
> Alexander and decided to make spoof-off implemented in userland via
> environment options.
>
> So my plan has some changes. Next week I'll try to implement "spoof-off" in
feature_present(3). We've already discussed the way of setting required
environment variables. It seems that FEATURES_DISABLED="geom_journal
compat_freebsd6 compat_freebsd7" is the preffered way.

> Also I'll need to adjust my Perforce configuration, because right now I only
have src/sys mapped in my client view. BTW where should feature_present(1) be
placed? I think that usr/sbin is the most appropriate place?

> And of course I'll continue to add more features in the kernel :-) Last week
I had an unexpected delay in this part of the work, hope that this week will
be better.

I think usr.bin is fine for feature_present(1).  Thanks!

--
John Baldwin