libiconv status report #4

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 28 20:10:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

this week's progress:
- Investigated about UTF-8 and found out that the differences between
GNU iconv and Citrus are bugs in GNU because it allows unpaired
surrogates in the output, which shouldn't be allowed according to
unicode.org.
- Also checked UTF-7 and the behaviour seems to be completely the same
apart from that Citrus gives some warnings on invalid sequences, which
is fine I think.
- Added mapper_parallel modul, which wasn't built before
- Little optimization to UTF-8: static tail length lookup tables instead
of filling the table with for loops.
- Fix Kazakh conversion table paths, so Kazakh conversions work now.

I have some more changes in progress but they aren't ready yet, so I
haven't merged them. I consulted with my mentor and I'll organize my
work around GNU iconv compatibility so that we can start to use iconv as
soon as possible. Optimization can be done when I find something like
this UTF-8 nit and I'll review the whole code at the end of the program.
My mentor also pointed out that glibc iconv seems to be even better than
GNU iconv, so I'll take a look at it, as well. From the next week I'll
have limited connectivity for some time but as I do weekly merges, you
might not notice it at all.

Cheers,

--
Gabor Kovesdan