libiconv status report #3

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 21 21:14:51 UTC 2009

Hello,

this week's progress:
- Clean up in the esdb and csmapper databases.  This means, finally we
have working Makefiles to install them correctly on FreeBSD. This seems
to be a misc part of the work but actually, it is important that we can
easily add/modify conversion tables. I've tried to generalize the
building of these pieces of metadata and made a mini-framework for that.
- Added a TESTING-HOWTO as we can easily install iconv now.
- Fixed some issues showing up in the GNU regression tests by adding
-INTERNAL and -SWAPPED encoding forms for UTF/UCS family.  The former
always means using the machine byte order, while the latter one is the
swapped byte order.  GNU regression tests use UCS-4-INTERNAL and by
implementing it in a compatible way, lot of regressions went away in
other encodings, as well.
- While here, added some more aliases used in GNU iconv for the UTF/UCS
family.
- Finally, really fix BOM handling.
- Nits in the test suite.
- Some investigations about some encoding variants.

Short-term TODO: The basic encodings seem to be well supported, except
UTF-8 and UTF-7, which still have some issues according to the GNU
regression test. The next important task is to fix UTF-8 before I can
pass to the CJK encodings. I don't consider UTF-7 very important because
it is kind of a legacy encoding but it would be nice to finish the whole
UTF/UCS family, so I'll look into it, as well.

Cheers,

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer