libstat status 3

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 21 19:53:50 UTC 2009

Hello,

During this week, I have improved some of the functions in the
libnetstat library, and I also experienced that the modified
netstat(1) version that uses this library seems to be quicker.  I
created a new type for socket buffers (in connection with the
previously created socket type) to make their query easier.  I have
also built a simple ncurses-based network monitoring application for
checking active unix domain socket and inet4/6 connections in real
time.  At the moment, it is more like an interactive netstat(1), but
it can be extended as the library develops.  All code is submitted to
Perforce [1] continuously.

I have started to work on how to pass information from kernel to the
userland in a less ABI-sensitive way, and I consulted Robert Watson
regarding this.  He suggested me to work out my solution after the
model he used in libmemstat(3) for providing information about UMA
allocations.  Now, I am checking the referenced sources and working on
a modification of the corresponding kernel routines, so it can be
submitted to Perforce during the next week, hopefully.

Cheers,
:g

[1] http://perforce.freebsd.org/changeList.cgi?FSPC=%2F%2Fdepot%2Fprojects%2Fsoc2009%2Fpgj_libstat%2F...&ignore=GO%21