Ports licenses - report 4

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Wed Jul 22 12:50:27 UTC 2009

Hello,

The last week I've finished the FOSSology port and updated it to the
latest release (1.1.0). I also sent changes to their mailing list, they
seem interested in the project and will help. In particular a FOSSology
developer from Hewlett Packard told me GPL/OSI/FSF/DFSG groups will be
present in the next version 1.2.0, and wanted to add a link to our port.

The port is in p4 and will be committed to CVS after building in my
tinderbox. The installation is very automated, and does not require much
user work. My mentor was busy this week but it may be installed on a
FreeBSD server (it has a web interface for uploading files, and produces
detailed reports, matching parts of about 360 licenses and variations).

I haven't looked much into the CLI interface, but it says to have one,
and at least there is a command "fosslic" for quickly matching a single
file (it doesn't need a web server, just the daemon and initial setup).

Before that, bsd.licenses.mk and bsd.licenses.db were committed to CVS.
We won't add the 360 licenses supported by FOSSology (I mean, for open
source ones only add their names and share redistribution permissions,
at worst by groups), but focus on handling better our restricted ports
right now.

So this week I'll add the compatibility layer for restricted ports, so a
port can either define NO_*/RESTRICTED or LICENSE* variables, and
pointyhat scripts will work with both of them (it uses some targets in
bsd.port.mk).

These are 2 separate tasks as restricted ports will be converted
manually, but others (hopefully) could be analyzed by a script using
FOSSology's interface.

Regards,
Ale