NFSv4 ACL support in star

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 8 07:26:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 03:34:20PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> > > This looks like an interface that is not optimized for performance.
> >
> > If you call it only once per filesystem, the performance is not an issue.
> > Libarchive caches filesystem properties as it traverses the tree,
> > so it would have no problem with this.
>
> Then you need to call stat() for every file or need to know every mount point,
> that might be a single file...
>
> > But there are also filesystems (AIX, I think) that permit different
> > types of ACLs on different files in the same file system.
> >
> > I would like to see a bit added to stat() indicating the presence of
> > either POSIX.1e or NFSv4 ACLs so that clients can efficiently
> > determine this on a per-file basis.
>
> SCO UnixWare uses the UFS ACL implementation from SVr4/Solaris but added a
> st_aclcnt field in struct stat. Do you have free space in strct stat on BSD?

We do have a spare field, but for FreeBSD 11 we have to move to 64bit
inodes, so we won't avoid changing the stat structure. If we need it
sooner then I believe the spare field is up for grabs.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://mobter.com