NFSv4 ACL support in star

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Thu Nov 7 14:22:55 UTC 2013

On Nov 7, 2013, at 3:10 AM, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

>>> -	libsec e.g. calls pathconf(name, _PC_ACL_ENABLED) in order to find
>>> 	the ACL type that is used for a file and controls which ACL flavor to
>>> 	retrieve.
>>
>> Use the usual pathconf(3), with _PC_ACL_NFS4.
>
> This looks like an interface that is not optimized for performance.

If you call it only once per filesystem, the performance is not an issue.
Libarchive caches filesystem properties as it traverses the tree,
so it would have no problem with this.

But there are also filesystems (AIX, I think) that permit different
types of ACLs on different files in the same file system.

I would like to see a bit added to stat() indicating the presence of
either POSIX.1e or NFSv4 ACLs so that clients can efficiently
determine this on a per-file basis.

Tim