NFSv4 ACL support in star

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Nov 7 10:51:06 UTC 2013

Tim Kientzle <kientzle at acm.org> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 9:39 AM, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
> > I am ready with the final conversions that hopefully will allow the code to
> > compile again on Linux tomorrow. Maybe, I should publish the source then as a
> > base for future discussions.
>
> Please post some sample archives created with your extensions.

I created an updated man page at:

	http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/man/star/star.4.html

give me some time to create some archives.

> I started to add NFSv4 support to libarchive a few years ago
> but never finished.  It would be good to complete that in a way
> that was compatible.

I was going to implement NFSv4 support in 2005, but then it took a lot of time
to convince Sun to implement a useful library interface.

There have been problems in both acltotext() and aclfromtex() and after some
time, Sun finally came up with acl_totext() and acl_fromtex() but then I had no
time and the project went out of my mind.

BTW: when this is done, it may make sense to discuss a portable format for
extended attribute files that are also defined by NFSv4 and ZFS.

Jörg