No subject

Fri Feb 24 02:21:12 GMT 2006

> > ACLs for other filesystems
> > --------------------------
> > Linux supports many different filesystems. Some of them have native ACL
> > support. Support for these filesystems' ACLs should be added. Most important
> > to me seems NFS ACL support.
>
> I take it that you mean NTFS not NFS, right?  That touches base with something
> that was discussed on the samba-ntdom list recently about fitting SAMBA with
> a generic ACL support so that SAMBA servers could map NT ACLs to native ACLs.
>
> As for ACLs over NFS:  That touches the NFSv3 effort by Trond et al. and should
> be discussed on the NFS mailing list as well. (But i am not sure that this is
> really documented at all, at least i couldn't find anything about this in the
> NFSv3 RFCs...)

NTFS as well. NFS is the more important filesystem, however. For mixed
Solaris/.../Linux environments and even multi-Linux systems, ACLs for NFS are
very important to get a coherent system (ACLs are in NFSv4).

NTFS and SAMBA won't integrate very well with any UNIX-like permission concept
anyway. ACLs for UNIXes and ACLs for Windows may some day use the same tools on
the UNIX side (setfacl/getfacl for example), but they will always be based on
very different concepts.

> > Linux ACL ports to other platforms
> > ----------------------------------
> > Currently, we only have ACL support in i386. People are working on PowerPC,
> > Sparc, and Alpha ports, but progress seems to be moderate. Would you like to
> > support your favorite platform? If so, I can give you a couple of hints. It
> > shouldn't be _that_ hard :)
>
> I need just a bit time to hack at Alpha and SPARC, but right now i don't have
> it.  Additionally i will try to talk Ralf Bächle in doing the MIPS stuff
> himself next time we meet...
>
> More important:  Have you checked the ext3 patches of Stephen Tweedie?  It
> would be nice if the journaling variant of ext2 would have ACL support out
> of the box...

I've read the ext3 journaling paper by Stephen Tweedie. My impression is that
ACLs and journaling are mostly orthogonal (ext3 isn't much different from ext2
except for journaling). It shouldn't be too hard to integrate the two. For now,
I'd like to shake out most of the remaining bugs and get the code to run on
multiple platforms; then we'll see.

This doesn't hinder anybody from integrating ACLs and ext3 now, however  :)

Andreas

 Andreas Gruenbacher, Vienna University of Technology
 a.gruenbacher at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
 Contact information: http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/~agruenba