validity test in cap_set_proc(), POSIX.1e 25.4.15.2

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 5 16:51:17 GMT 2001

POSIX.1e D17 25.4.15.2 reads:

  The function cap_set_proc() shall set the values for all capability
  flags for all capabilities defined in the implementation with the
  capability state identified by cap_p.  The new capability state of the
  process shall be completely determined by the contents of cap_p upon
  successful return from this function.  If any flag in cap_p is set for
  any capability not currently permitted for the calling process, the
  function shall fail, and the capability state of the process shall
  remain unchanged.

In our currently implementation, we impose an additional check on cap_p
provided to cap_set_proc(): we require that the resulting capability set
be "valid" in the sense that the new effective capabilities be a subset of
the new permitted capabilities.  Does anyone else take this reading, and
if not, is there a good reason not to?

robert at fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services