strictly POSIX (was Re: Samba ACL's and FreeBSD (fwd))

Andreas Gruenbacher ag at moses.parsec.at
Tue Apr 10 08:18:08 GMT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Chris Faulhaber wrote:

> In attempting to get samba 2.2 and its ACL support working with the
> TrustedBSD ACL implementation, we find that samba uses acl_get_perm()
> (checks if permission(s) are contained in a permission set) as though
> it were a standard POSIX.1e function.
>
> From my questions on samba-technical, Jeremy Allison implies that this
> function was in previous draft revisions. If so (I don't have anything
> earlier than Draft 17), why was it removed?  Do other ACL
> implementation use a similiar function (other than Linux)?

I would also be interested in knowing that. There are some things that
make the library pretty useless without extensions. Draft 15 would be very
useful (as I understand various implementations are based on it).

> Additionally, the Linux implementation assumes a bitmask-based
> acl_perm_t.  From what I can see, the spec does not state this is
> required. Should the caller be allowed to compare multiple permissions
> (e.g. ACL_READ|ACL_EXECUTE) in this case?

It uses a bitmask, but that fact should not be exploited in portable
applications. That's what draft 17 seems to imply at least.

I don't see the technical reason why permission sets are not just treated
as bitmasks generally, though. That would simplify the whole library a
lot.

--Andreas.