Extended attribute interfaces

Marius Bendiksen mbendiks at eunet.no
Fri Sep 22 14:37:00 GMT 2000

> I still want the fourth kind, which only the owner can set.
> Think in terms of an icon or a README.

On this note, the code I use in myfs can handle full DACL on a per-EA
basis, with an overhead of 1 byte. I got the impression that this was
too expensive for you guys, but it would certainly solve this case.

> If you keep the differentiator in the attribute name
> you can add attribute types to the kernel without changing
> the API. Example, if someone wanted to add an attribute
> type which could only be modified by your boss ("*attributes",
> where the * is pronounced asshole (Joke!)) you could do so
> without adding an extattr_asshole_get_file() interface.

This is why I argue the "/segment/name" model, with "name" implicitly
referring to "/user/name".

Marius