Extended attribute interfaces

Casey Schaufler casey at sgi.com
Thu Sep 21 16:14:04 GMT 2000

Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> > What I had in mind was whether privilege allowed violation of the normal
> > restricted system EAs.
>
> Like setting an invalid ACL? For Posix.1e the rules are well defined who
> is allowed to change which information when; these rules should not be
> allowed to be bypassed at all.

Consider a backup system which uses its own system attribute
which contains the time of last backup, $tolb. There
isn't a CAP_TOLB_OVERRIDE. What capability should the backup
system have? CAP_EXT_ATTR would make sense, but how do you
prevent the backup system from setting ACLs? (I'm intentionally
ignoring the fact that you'd want that facility sometimes, BTW)

--

Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
casey at sgi.com				voice: 650.933.1634